24 Thu, 2011 § 9 Comments
I am sort of annoyed with this “earn your carbs” mentality I have come across recently; so instead of ranting, I decided to share one of my favorite carb snacks.
I like air-popped, because then I can drizzle it with melted coconut oil. You can also pop it over the stove in oil though. Let me know if you need specs for the stove top method.
My current obsession is sprinkling maca powder over it, which is reminiscent of butter scotch, along with sea salt.
I first read about maca in Thrive & started adding it to my recovery coconut-hemp drinks. It can help reduce cortisol levels caused by stress, which will aid in recovery & repair from physical exertion [aka exercise]. It’s boasted to help achieve greater strength, energy & stamina. The difference for me has been subtle but noticeable.
Faith recently revealed how easy it is to make my own herb salts though, so my popcorn might just get fancy. What herbs would be good on popcorn? Ideas?
Rather than “earn your carbs”…let’s try, “earn your sweat” or “earn your body’s love”.
Natalie set me up with a grueling circuit with this exercise challenge. I almost backed out, because my stomach felt off when I got home. I decided giving it a try & pushing through might be worth it & make me feel better. It was, & I did.
Circuit Training x 3 rounds
- Push Ups to fatigue (start on toes, when fatigued – keep going on knees) ~ 15-15 / 17-10 / 15-12
- Squat Jumps to Squats (jumping squats to fatigue – switch to prisoner squats) ~ 21-31 / 25-30 / 26-30
- Pull Ups (true – assisted) ~ 4-10 / 13-12 / 3.5-10
- 1 min High-Knees (both legs up = 1) – 1 min Lateral Hops – 1 min Jump Rope ~ 94-63-150 / 84-70-153 / 88-70-149
- Jumping Lunges to Regular Lunges (once fatigued jumping – switch to reg.) ~ 30-30 across the board
- Bicep Curl & Overhead Press (as many as you can) ~ 2, 10#s ~ 20 across the board
- 1 minute Mountain Climbers ~ 67 / 66 / 73 (both legs forward = 1 count)
- 3-way Lateral Raises (Palms facing forward ~ 5#s, backward ~ 2#s & floor ~ 5#, 10-12 each) ~ I did 10 each for all 3 rounds
- 5 Plank Ups Downs (each side) – start in plank, come down to elbows in a “walking” motion, come back up
- 15 Burpees (without push up)
- Tricep Dips to fatigue ~ 30 / 30 / 25
- 25 Tuck Ups* (lay on your back with feet & arms out straight; bring knees to chest & upper body off ground)
*Wasn’t sure how to do these, so I did static butt raises instead.
This sucked – in a good way. 😉 One of the great aspects of this circuit was how Natalie alternated the exercises. The more weight-focused exercises provided just enough of a rest as I caught my breath but still continued to work specific muscles to fatigue. Changing it up like this never gave my body a chance to adapt, which is how I like it: drenched, grunting & pushing through the whole time.
Thank.You.Natalie. Why do you have to live so far away again?
Give her circuit a go or check out one of her many workouts @ FollowMyFitSteps.com.
p.s. Whole food carb sources are ok. Obviously, don’t go crazy, & avoid processed stuff, but eating balanced means not beating yourself up over a bowl of quinoa. I mean, c’mon people!
We all do this from time to time, but I do not like instilling an “earn my food” mentality & prefer to view, appreciate & relish in food as fuel.
What are your thoughts on earning your carbs/food?