5 Thu, 2011 § 10 Comments
I feel sucker punched, like I did 1,000 crunches yesterday but the only thing working my abs were severe stomach cramps that knocked me off my feet mid-day. I resisted the Spring “cleanse” / detox trend earlier this year, but today I am changing my tune. I am not a fan of long-term “cleanses” or fasts & disagree they are really that good for your body; however, restricting & monitoring my intake seems to be the only way to narrow down the cause.
After work, I had planned to trail run or hike with Eisley before my spinning class. I had not intended to leave work early & whimper in the fetal position until Dave got home. These are definitely cramping my style. At least a long phone call with an old friend distracted me a bit, but I wanted to move & sweat yesterday!
Years ago I realized sulphur dioxide, found in many packaged dried fruits, & other preservatives were to blame for tying my stomach into painful knots. Now, I eat clean. My diet is primarily plant-based & made up of whole foods only, void of harmful preservatives. The cause of my cramps has to be an intolerance to something specific. Gluten plays a role, but I am not exactly sure to what extent. Whole wheat seems to hurt, while spelt & kamut — which still have some gluten — sit better in moderation.
A “detox” seems like so much work — especially because I eat clean! I’m tired of these cramps that “randomly” creep up & knock me flat though, so yesterday I started a food diary & plan to eliminate the common culprits:
- all added sugar ~ I already avoid processed sugar
- coffee ~ I don’t drink coffee regularly; as a treat, I might enjoy a cup once every few months
- alcohol ~ I like the occasional glass of wine, vodka tonic, whiskey straight or quality dark brew, but again, I drink pretty rarely
- gluten ~ recently I have been eating gluten rarely & in moderation
- soy ~ I also eat tofu & tempeh in moderation & avoid most processed foods that sneak soy in
- dairy ~ I have not been consuming any dairy for the last several weeks
Do you understand my frustration? I have already eliminated most of these or consume them rarely. Gluten stands out to me, & I did recently make a.mazing millet muffins with whole wheat pastry flour. The culprit perhaps? I tested another muffin yesterday evening, but no cramps happened. ??
I’m confused & feel a little lost. I will figure this out though.
If you have any detoxing tips or experiences finding a food intolerance, please share!