28 Mon, 2011 § 3 Comments
Sunday was a
lazy lonely day. I woke to snow falling, which didn’t cease until several inches more lay on the ground.
Saturday I climbed at the gym & intended to be active again yesterday, but movies, lounging & knitting [& re-knitting] made up much of my day until Dave gently coaxed me over the phone into taking a hike.
Trudging through a good foot-&-a-half to two feet of snow is generally not my idea of a good time, & I soon considered retreating. Eisley’s “crazy dog”-sprints back & forth made me laugh & the fresh air invigorated me, so there was no turning back just yet. The photographer in me even hibernated. I just wanted to enjoy being out with Eis.
She coaxed me straight up the steep hill into the woods though there is a perfectly good trail that meanders more gradually. This perfectly good trail waaas hidden by the snow, offering us a blank canvas. Though her route might not have been my first choice, I had to follow her child-like excitement as we broke first tracks. She charged halfway up the hill, turned & looked as if to say, “hurry, follow me, mom!” When I met her, she even pounced at me playfully. Everyone should be blessed with this type of companionship.
Eisley does not always love the snow, but yesterday she sprang, dashed & rolled in the white powder.
I do not always love the snow either, but I guess it is growing on both of us.
p.s. Guess who will be home today?!! Expect next post to be short & sweet. 😉
Do you like playing in the snow?
25 Fri, 2011 § 2 Comments
Thank you,Thursday, for the “me” time: knitting, listening to “The Help” & cuddling with the little ones. Friday, you’re likely to be the same;
but Saturday & Sunday, I’m coming after you.
Dear wind & snow, I’ll find a way around you.
Any one else expecting a storm? Looks like a weekend meant for the climbing gym.
24 Thu, 2011 § 9 Comments
I am sort of annoyed with this “earn your carbs” mentality I have come across recently; so instead of ranting, I decided to share one of my favorite carb snacks.
I like air-popped, because then I can drizzle it with melted coconut oil. You can also pop it over the stove in oil though. Let me know if you need specs for the stove top method.
My current obsession is sprinkling maca powder over it, which is reminiscent of butter scotch, along with sea salt.
I first read about maca in Thrive & started adding it to my recovery coconut-hemp drinks. It can help reduce cortisol levels caused by stress, which will aid in recovery & repair from physical exertion [aka exercise]. It’s boasted to help achieve greater strength, energy & stamina. The difference for me has been subtle but noticeable.
Faith recently revealed how easy it is to make my own herb salts though, so my popcorn might just get fancy. What herbs would be good on popcorn? Ideas?
Rather than “earn your carbs”…let’s try, “earn your sweat” or “earn your body’s love”.
Natalie set me up with a grueling circuit with this exercise challenge. I almost backed out, because my stomach felt off when I got home. I decided giving it a try & pushing through might be worth it & make me feel better. It was, & I did.
Circuit Training x 3 rounds
- Push Ups to fatigue (start on toes, when fatigued – keep going on knees) ~ 15-15 / 17-10 / 15-12
- Squat Jumps to Squats (jumping squats to fatigue – switch to prisoner squats) ~ 21-31 / 25-30 / 26-30
- Pull Ups (true – assisted) ~ 4-10 / 13-12 / 3.5-10
- 1 min High-Knees (both legs up = 1) – 1 min Lateral Hops – 1 min Jump Rope ~ 94-63-150 / 84-70-153 / 88-70-149
- Jumping Lunges to Regular Lunges (once fatigued jumping – switch to reg.) ~ 30-30 across the board
- Bicep Curl & Overhead Press (as many as you can) ~ 2, 10#s ~ 20 across the board
- 1 minute Mountain Climbers ~ 67 / 66 / 73 (both legs forward = 1 count)
- 3-way Lateral Raises (Palms facing forward ~ 5#s, backward ~ 2#s & floor ~ 5#, 10-12 each) ~ I did 10 each for all 3 rounds
- 5 Plank Ups Downs (each side) – start in plank, come down to elbows in a “walking” motion, come back up
- 15 Burpees (without push up)
- Tricep Dips to fatigue ~ 30 / 30 / 25
- 25 Tuck Ups* (lay on your back with feet & arms out straight; bring knees to chest & upper body off ground)
*Wasn’t sure how to do these, so I did static butt raises instead.
This sucked – in a good way. 😉 One of the great aspects of this circuit was how Natalie alternated the exercises. The more weight-focused exercises provided just enough of a rest as I caught my breath but still continued to work specific muscles to fatigue. Changing it up like this never gave my body a chance to adapt, which is how I like it: drenched, grunting & pushing through the whole time.
Thank.You.Natalie. Why do you have to live so far away again?
Give her circuit a go or check out one of her many workouts @ FollowMyFitSteps.com.
p.s. Whole food carb sources are ok. Obviously, don’t go crazy, & avoid processed stuff, but eating balanced means not beating yourself up over a bowl of quinoa. I mean, c’mon people!
We all do this from time to time, but I do not like instilling an “earn my food” mentality & prefer to view, appreciate & relish in food as fuel.
What are your thoughts on earning your carbs/food?
21 Mon, 2011 § 1 Comment
Whether you are preparing for sweet dreams, just waking or in the midst of your day, I hope now is a happy moment for you; after all, it is all you really have.
p.s. It’s up.
20 Sun, 2011 § 3 Comments
During our weekend girls’ trip to Albuquerque, we spotted hints of Spring.
We returned to Eisley-height snow.
I am driving Dave two+ hours away to the airport tomorrow morning in this — at 4:30am! Ouy. Those couple, precious hours will be worth it though. He will be at a team-building conference for work, & the last we had planned, he would be back Sunday. Over the weekend, we received bad news about his grandfather, so now he will be flying to Utah from the conference for a funeral. 😦 Not to steal the limelight…but did I mention I won’t see him until next Tuesday now?
Tonight is our last night together for over a week! So what am I doing online? He is running a quick errand, so I thought I would jump on & leave my weekend workouts for you…
then I’m all his.
We stayed at the Radisson, so I had complete access to the fitness & wellness center next door. I haven’t replaced my spinning class since moving to AZ, so I was PSYCHED to drop in on spinning in Albuquerque. I felt worked, though I wished the instructor had increased resistance or RPMs more on a couple intervals, but I can always adjust that myself [one of the beauties of spinning]. I did not love her music choice though. I do not listen to much main stream radio, so spinning is my chance to get a dose of something I feel like dancing to! I didn’t feel much like dancing, but I’ll still take it. She also did not include much of a cool down, which was ok for me because my heart rate drops pretty quickly; but for those who were there for the first time, our ending was be a bit abrupt.
Before class, I decided to hit the weight room.
- Infraspinatus [rotator cuff] 3 x 10 [7.5#s]
- Bicep curls x 20 [10#s each]
- Chin ups 3 x 5
- Chattarunga – hold 1:05
- Skull crushers 3 x 10 [10#s each]
- Bench dips with feet on medicine ball 3 x 10
- Burpees 2 x 10
Sunday morning I wasn’t looking for the same intense sweat but still wanted specific muscle fatigue. This worked.
- Rhomboid “crunches” 3 x 10 [15# bar]
- Dual Pulley Rows 3 x 10 [35#]
- Skater Lunges with Jump & Knee Up ~ 4 rounds: 10 sec rest; 50 sec max
- Seated to Hanging L “Sits” ~ 16 rounds: 5 sec max; 10 sec rest
- Superman to “V” Sit/Boat Pose ~ 6 rounds: 20 sec max; 20 sec max
Did you get hit with the blizzard?
18 Fri, 2011 § 2 Comments
I also have a tendency to procrastinate…especially when I know I am going to be awkward.
A looong while back, I was complimented by a friend I think very highly of — someone I really like. How could I not be flattered to learn I am Faith’s “kind of style”? 🙂 “Athletic, out-doorsy, wholistic”. That was nice to
hear read, especially after the day I had had. Allow me to be a little self-centered for a moment [as if this isn’t already one of the main premises having a blog] & revel in this flattery.
Then Julia honored me as well. Too much from women I love!
Of course, along with any kind of reward comes responsibility…hence the procrastination…which is why I am quite lame & undeserving of their kind acknowledgments:
1. Make a post & link back to the person who awarded you this award. Easily done.
2. Share 7 things about yourself. Ok, I can do this; so I started writing & some of the things that came to mind…well, I guess I needed a little more nerve to share these. Do I feel any more secure than I did weeks ago? Nope. Procrastination warranted then? Probably not.
3. Award 10 recently discovered great bloggers. Perfect! I have just the notion in mind. See below*
4. Contact these bloggers & tell them they’ve won!
1. I was seven when I learned girls are evil
. In high school, I realized it actually derived from insecurity & not necessarily a maldesign of corruptness. Either way, for a majority of my life, I have been “one of the guys” & struggled finding female companionship. As much as I always said, “eh, I just don’t like girls & their drama”…there was a little hole longing to be filled by sincere female friendship.
2. I hit a pedestrian once. She was ok, & fortunately only twisted her ankle. I could go back in time [in my mind of course], but with the frost, fog & glare of the sunrise, I still wouldn’t see her. I braked immediately when I heard her scream. Then she rolled over the front bumper. Worst.Day.Ever. Exhibit A, why I cannot stand careless drivers – you just have no idea…even when you are careful.
3. This always makes me cry…like big, sobbing tears of joy.
<object style=”height: 390px; width: 640px”><param name=”movie” value=”http://www.youtube.com/v/oiGKWoJi5qM?version=3″><param name=”allowFullScreen” value=”true”><param name=”allowScriptAccess” value=”always”></object>
4. I was 25 when I first stepped onto an airplane. My first trip? To Thailand with Dave on our honeymoon. Nothing like a nice 16-hour flight to break you in.
5. I am truly a small, town girl. I had classes at the university with as many students as my hometown’s population, which is less than 300 last I checked.
6. When I was a child, I wanted to be a marine biologist when I grew up. I even wrote a book in second grade about various sea creatures just for fun. My ocean experience is limited to a ferry from Seattle across the inlet & kayaking along Thailand’s coast, yet some days, I still long for that little girl’s dream.
7. I was two years out of high school before I learned what it was to have a true girl-friend. It turned out not all women were cruel & driven to destroy. In recent years I have discovered beautiful, kind, loving women all over the world, in life & in our little blogasphere. My life has been blessed & enriched by your friendships.
*I have been wanting to add my own blogroll to the site for awhile. This was the perfect chance for me to showcase the blogs I love to visit. I will finish it over the weekend, so expect to see this page by Monday. Thanks for being patient & bearing with me!
Enjoy your weekend — I’m off to Albuquerque for a girls’ trip!