MIA Stuffed Pepper
10 Fri, 2010 § 2 Comments
One lonely green bell pepper has been sitting in the crisper all week. Ever since being lovingly plucked & shared from my mom’s garden, it has been begging to be stuffed.
A choice meal of Dave’s, I do not often crave stuffed peppers; but nearly always enjoy the outcome. I really wanted to do something simple yet special with this beauty by combining a few choice flavors that would not overwhelm but play into the pungent crispness of the pepper. Leftovers are often great options for pepper stuffing; but with no LOs on hand, making a simple grain seemed a good place to start.
Buttery Brown Rice is an ideal choice.
A Qunioa-Millet mixture would be equally pleasing a slightly more nourishing, but I am still in the stages of winning Dave over on that combination…meaning, I am still waiting for him to try it.
- I simply simmered ½ Cup of rinsed Golden Rose Brown Rice in 1 Cup water, covered, for about 50 minutes. [Any rice — or grain for that matter — should do.]
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in about 1 T Earth Balance Butter.
- I also stirred in a can of Wild Planet Tuna to boost the protein [which I have not been getting enough of recently]. Cooked chickpeas would be a good vegan alternative.
Now for that little something special:
Ever since making Angela’s Cashew Basil Cheese, I have not stopped thinking about it. I just had to stuff it in this pepper.
- ½ C raw Cashews, soaked overnight in the fridge
- Strain; Combine all ingredients in a food processor & process until smooth, stopping to scrape sides as necessary. [We use a Magic Bullet.] Taste & adjust seasonings if necessary.
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp cold-pressed oil [either Sunflower, Grapeseed, EVOO]
- 1 small fresh Basil leaf OR ½ tsp dried
- 1 small clove Garlic or a sprinkle of Garlic Powder
- ¾ T Nutritional Yeast
- ½ T fresh Lemon Juice
I was really excited to share some descriptive photos with you…but…
Dave enjoyed it so much, he ate it all before I got home 😀
I like cutting the pepper in half “tall”-wise & de-seeding [do not worry if you do not get every last seed out]; I also always steam the halves ~5-8 min. to start the cooking process before baking them.
I had prepped everything except the Cashew Cheese, which Dave made 🙂 so he simply needed to assemble & enjoy…a bit too much apparently ;). He did not realize half was for me.
Fortunately he saved enough for me to enjoy over some wilted greens…which was tasty…but I am sure the pepper adds a punch to these flavors.
To fill each half of one good-sized bell pepper, Dave combined about two-thirds of the Buttery Brown Rice with half of the Cashew Cheese; I think some chopped Spinach would be a nice addition. Then he baked it at 375*F for ~30 minutes until the cheese slightly toasted…mmm.
My name is Allie, & I have a problem:
I just may be addicted to cashew cheese. 😉
Without the use of a “recipe”, what creations have you stuffed in a pepper — & more importantly — what else should we do with cashew cheese !?!