11 Wed, 2010 § 2 Comments
Another TKD favorite: Silverstone’s husband devised this after experiencing a version in a fancy, NY restaurant. Well done Christopher!
Serves 2 people:
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Slice head of a Cauliflower as you would cut a loaf of bread, making ½”-¾” thick slices per person. [We use about half a head for two people.]
- Arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Core & slice half a Fennel bulb & scatter over same baking sheet or use two if necessary. [The fennel makes this, so I think it is absolutely necessary, but you could use onion I suppose. If you do not have fennel, a rub of crushed anise lightly massaged into the cauliflower should offer a similar flavor.]
- Brush the cut surfaces of Cauliflower & Fennel with EVOO.
- Season lightly with sea salt & freshly ground pepper.
- Roast the vegetable steaks until they are light brown, about 15 minutes; then flip, brush with oil & roast another 15 minutes until browned & tender.
We recently enjoyed this with shredded carrot salad tossed with homemade balsamic vinaigrette & another simple favorite: freshly cooked chickpeas [or slightly roasted if not fresh/warm] tossed with EVOO & sea salt. Superb.