VOO Parfait–it’s ALL I want
19 Mon, 2010 § 8 Comments
So, what on earth is VOO? Vegan Overnight Oats of course 🙂 I love muesli, but often after a few days of eating raw oats, my tummy doesn’t seem to completely agree. It’s so hot out, cooked oatmeal does not appeal at all. This overnight stuff though? Perfect! After soaking the raw oats, my tummy agrees & my taste buds love it too!
Now, if you’ve heard of Banana Soft Serve & have yet to make it, kick yourself; kick yourself all the way to those unused bananas on the counter & make it. Gina’s right: it will change your life–& it’s too simple!
Each of these are terrific alone — & I would probably partake from time to time — but I was not ready for the amazement of VOO Parfaits: a combination of these two dishes. Wow, wow & wow. I can’t get enough, & it’s just what my body craves on these hot, hot, hot summer mornings [& some afternoons]. Here I have created a cooling, afternoon delight — with fresh figs from California — that Dave & I shared after a long, hot bike ride on Saturday.
I simply stir sunflower seeds & pepitas (pumpkin seeds) into my VOO; spoon half the mixture into the bottom of a deep cup, place half a chopped fresh fig over that, then layer with half the Banana Soft Serve, repeat.
Banana Soft Serve [are you ready for the simplicity?]:
- Bananas–however many you want–I use one as a small serving
- Peel, cut into pieces & freeze.
- Place in the food processor & blend until smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down as needed.
Now make it yours! Mix in nut butter or other fruit [I want to try raspberries); almond or rice milk; chia seeds to thicken it; carob powder. Top with nuts, cacao nips, coconut flakes, etc. Or simply enjoy the simplicity of the frozen bananas, which is how I like it in my parfaits.
Vegan Overnight Oats [VOO] I usually just scoop/pour & guess, but here are some approximates I’ve adapted from Angela’s version; just play around & decide what you like best.
- 1/2C Thick-Rolled Oats
- 1T Chia Seeds
- 1/2dose(2T) plain Hemp Powder, or other [flavored] protein mixture [I’ve been forgetting to add this lately & need to make a point of remembering, because I want the added protein], optional
- 1/2C-1C Unsweetened Almond or Rice Milk [I error on the lower end because I like my VOO thick; I actually pour to just cover the oat mixture]
- optional stir-ins: cinnamon & sea salt [I think these are essential & accent the flavor greatly, but you decide], vanilla extract, other spices
- Combine all ingredients, whisk together [I think the longer you whisk the thicker it will be] & place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, give VOO a quick stir, adding nuts & seeds if desired.
17 August ~ Parfait Update!
I just made one of my favorite VOO Parfaits ever! Extra Whipped PB & J! Ok, so there really is no jam — though you could definitely stir that into your VOO — but the local strawberries I have are perfect. They are tiny, dark & sweet without being tart. Local produce is the best! Have you had PB Banana Soft Serve yet? It reminds me of those ice cream candy bars I use to have as a kid. Just blend Peanut Butter into your soft serve; I let it blend extra long today to give it a truly whipped texture. Yum. In general, I normally stick to Almond Butter but it is just not the same in soft serve. I am keeping a little PB on hand just for this. 🙂